When you’re a homeowner, one of the biggest perils to your home and family members is the potential for a fire. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated in 2019 that American homeowners took on about $1.6 billion in losses as the result of unintentional or careless fires. Sadly, fires are sudden and many times avoidable -- if you know where to look. And hopefully you are ready with a monitored fire alarm that sends you emergency responders ASAP should you experience an outbreak.
What Causes House Fires In San Jose?
Fires can happen anywhere at any time in the house. However, you may reduce the risk of a house fire by taking precautions around the following items:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is overwhelmingly the number 1 cause of a house fire in San Jose. Cooking-related fires typically result when the kitchen is left unattended while making the meal. Water used on a grease fire can quickly expand a flame that would on the other hand die out.
- Candles: Going to sleep in an area with a lit candle is problematic, even when you use a high-sided candle holder. The flame can blow and catch a curtain on fire if left on a window sill, and pets can bump into candles while exploring. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that more than 7,600 properties were damaged due to candle-related fires between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Faulty electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, malfunctioning or poorly installed lighting, and split lamp cords can all cause a fire. Don't overwhelm your outlets or plug an item in with bare wires. On the off chance you hear crackling or smell smoke from the outlet, turn the breaker off prior to your investigation.
- Space Heaters: Avoid coiled space heaters because debris, like dust, paper or plastic scraps, or blankets can find their way in and catch fire. However, you need to make sure to monitor fan and ceramic space heaters for the entire duration of use.
- Cigarettes: Solely in 2014, U.S. fire departments fought blazes in more than 17,000 house fires triggered by smoking paraphernalia. If you enjoy tobacco in the house, make sure they never fall asleep with a cigarette or smoke in bed. And fully extinguish your cigarette before you toss it into a waste bin.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Does Brings Help Quickly When It Senses A Fire
If a fire does start, you will need to have an early warning system to inform your family members as soon as possible. A common smoke alarm could suffice but is only able to alert you if smoke is abundant. A state-of-the-art fire alarm -- a piece of equipment that's pair with your home security system -- is powerful enough to sense both smoke and climbing heat and is better equipped to ensure everyone is safe.
A monitored fire alarm has several methods by which it can inform you of a fire. Your alarms can inform you with an ear-piercing siren and an alert to your smartphone. All the while, your 24/7 monitoring experts gets a hold of the fire department. And if you're ever somewhere in which you aren’t able to get home when a fire starts, you can rest assured that your monitoring agent will facilitate contact between you and the fire department.
Get Your Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The possibility of house fires in San Jose should never be discounted, but you can have peace of mind if you install a monitored fire alarm on the premises. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you place all the smoke sensors you need with a comprehensive home security system. Call (408) 641-3351 or fill out the form below to get your home security system.